Saturday, June 8, 2013

My Bucket List - Doing My Best To Live Big!

I recently came across a blog called LivingBig. To give you a little back story, I had recently been surfing around the web looking for helpful advice for our up-and-coming trip. I randomly came across LivingBig one day on Pinterest read a few posts, thought "Wow! That was sure helpful!" and moved on not thing much about it. A bit later a friend of mine from high school linked the very same blog to her Facebook page. It wasn't until then that I put 2 and 2 together and came to the conclusion that "You know what? I know her!". Both Mary, the author of LivingBig, and I were in the same graduating class in High School. After that light bulb moment I went back and reread all her whole blog. Currently she is in the midst of a 5 month adventure through Europe herself. I would highly recommend reading along with her adventures if you have the chance. The post on losing the map was one of my favorites.

But It was a post entitled Bucket list that got me thinking the most though. It made me happy to see someone else from my Good Ol' Class of  '04 out there traveling the world, making things happen, and living their dreams. Even though we didn't talk much in High School I recently emailed Mary and told her how her adventures and stories on LivingBig inspired me to write my own bucket list. 

Life is too precious and too short to let your dreams pass you by. So, by writing them down and sharing them with all of you I am holding myself accountable to make the very best of the greatest gift God could ever give me. Remember, a Bucket List is an ever growing and changing document. As you cross things off, new things get added. It changes and grows with you!

So here it goes! Here is My Bucket List!



  1. Watch one of my documentaries at Sundance
  2. Win an Emmy
  3. Help someone for the better by telling their story
  4. Travel somewhere new to make a documentary
  5. Produce for OPB
  6. Own my own business
  7. See my children excel in something they love
  8. See my grandchildren's smiles
  9. Own my own home
  10. Have a traditional Japanese room in my own home
  11. Have a mule and name him Wallace
  12. Have a pig and name him Chicharon
  13. Have my own ceramics studio
  14. Submit a piece of my art to the Oregon State fair and win an award
  15. Sell my art at a farmers market/street fair/bazaar
  16. Watch the sunset over the great pyramids
  17. See penguins in Antarctica  
  18. Walk on the Great Wall of China
  19. Backpack the Oregon section of the Pacific Crest Trail
  20. Complete a triathlon
  21. Swim with whales
  22. Learn to sing (ie take singing lessons)
  23. Learn to play the guitar
  24. Play flute in a symphony
  25. Learn to fly
  26. Be part of a Church
  27. Inspire change
  28. Teach a college class
  29. Cook an entire Thanksgiving dinner all by myself
  30. Go on a cruise someplace tropical
  31. Be happy with my own self-image
  32. Volunteer for Al-Anon and help someone with a love one struggling with an addiction
  33. Take more dancing lessons (west coast swing to be specific)
  34. Have dinner in one city and fly to another for dessert
  35. Read the Three Musketeer all the way through (I think I've started it 3 time)
  36. Restore a vintage car and take it on rallies
  37. Skydive
  38. Windsurf in the Gorge
  39. Ski Whistler Blackcomb
  40. Go to the Olympics
  41. Go elk hunting with my dad and learn the value of killing and preparing my own meat
  42. See the Aurora Borealis
  43. Paint a Mural
  44. Make a digital record/library of all our families pictures and slides
  45. Trace my family heritage as far back as I can
  46. Watch all of the documentaries on IMDB: 100 best Best Documentary Films of All-Time (http://www.imdb.com/list/CfHXhW5C4fo/)
  47. Watch all the Academy Award Best Picture winners
  48. Drink a Guinness in Ireland Read all about the experience here!
  49. Ride in a gondola in Venice Read all about the experience here!
  50. Speak Spanish in Spain Will post story soon!
  51. Watch the night lights under the Eiffel Tower Read all about the experience here!
  52. Put a lock on the lock bridge in Paris Read all about the experience here!
  53. Go on a chocolate tour in Belgium Read all about the experience here!
  54. Go to the Salisbury Cathedral and see the Magna Carta in England (in place of Climbing up Salisbury Hill)  Read all about the experience here!
  55. Get lost in the Louvre Read all about the experience here!
  56. Say a prayer at the Vatican Read all about the experience here!
  57. See the wonders of Machu Picchu in Peru
  58. Tour the Eastern Mediterranean ( ie Turkey, Greece, Jordan, Israel, Egypt)
  59. Experience Mardi Gras in New Orleans
  60. Go to the Oregon Shakespeare festival and dress the part
  61. See the ball drop in New York City
  62. Watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in person
  63. Visit all the National Parks in the US
  64. Watch Old Faithful go off in Yellowstone National Park
  65. Ride a mule to the bottom of the Grand Canyon
  66. Hike the Narrows in Zion National Park
  67. Teach my dog how to run an agility course and then compete
  68. See a Cirque du Soleil performance in Vegas
  69. See the Hope Diamond in the Smithsonian
  70. Go vegetarian for a month
  71. Crochet an afghan
  72. Ride in a sidecar


Things I've Crossed off already:

  • Finish High School
  • Get a College Degree
  • Travel Abroad
  • Swim with sharks
  • Throw clay in Japan
  • See the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta
  • Go to Disneyland at Christmas
  • Move somewhere new
  • Find my soul-mate
  • Get Married
  • Be baptized
  • Witness someone change for the better (I love you Mom!)
  • See the Gonzaga Bulldogs play at the NCAA Tournament and have courtside seats
  • Produce and edit for PBS
  • Have a brother/sister (in my book a brother-in-law counts)

Curious about something on My Bucket List or want to know the story behind the things I've crossed off already? Let me know! Or as Mary put it, maybe we have a bucket list goal in common? If so please get in touch and let’s scratch it off together!

Thank you Mary for helping me to continue to Live Big!

3 comments:

  1. So as I sit here and read your bucket list (crying like a baby)I am just so overwhelmed with happiness, and so very proud. How could I have such a wonderful daughter like you. I am just so very blessed. Thank you God. Yes!, I want to share with you #29,(can't wait for this one!)63, and 69. And thank you for making me part of the things you have already accomplished. I thank God everyday for the things I have learned from you. All my love always, Mom oxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. your mom told me that you actually had this famous oft mentioned bucket list on your blog so I came to visit it. looks like you probably have quite a few more taken care of and just haven't gotten to update it. good luck with the rest, and if you need help, let me know...except with the swimming with the whales...can't help you there. unless you need someone to man a boat or take you to sea world, that I can do, lol. -Danielle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you came to look at it! Things are getting marked off quickly here in Europe. I will be blogging and linking to them soon. I think there are a few that I would love to have you help me cross off (#1, 2, 37, 44, for sure 46 & 47, maybe even 72). Remember it is a constantly growing and changing list so there is bound to be something perfect for just you and me that will make it to the list soon. Oh...and I'll hold you to that trip to Sea World! LOL!

      Delete